<  Reviews  ~  Slave presents Heavy Metal at The Royal, Fri 2nd Sept

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
It was a great night of Palmy Heavy Metal at the Royal on friday night.
It was cool to get such a good turnout. Heavy Metal is alive and well in the swamp.
Deaths Door kicked off the night with their thrashy hard out Metal styles with an 8 foot cover thrown in which fits right in with their style. Got the mosh pit going from the start of the night.
Bloodspray for Politics were on 2nd, and we played our 7 song set of Heavy Metal. I was happy with how our set went for a first gig.
Gift of Ruin were on third and continued to keep the crowd moshing with their
heavy as set.
Cephalopod finished the night and are sounding really good these days now they have added Liam to the lineup on bass.
Was a kickarse night, Thanks to everyone who contributed or came along.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Twas a sweet-as night!!! Congrats to Murray on a very successful show.
I heard there was 80 paying punters??? That's freaking awesome (Yes, I agree that Heavy Metal is alive and well in PN.) [I've counted that there is currently well over 10 active heavy metal bands in PN right now :shock: ]

Death's Door: With another new lineup I was quite stoked on their set. They have been getting better and better as this year has gone on even with them going through at least 2 drummers this year. Antz is a very deece guitar player and I dug some of the solos he played. Grayson is a very amusing frontman.

Bloodspray For Politics: Fucking wicked debut performance of any band I've seen. Mike's a good fit for the band. So stoked they've gone against the trend of down-tuning and have stayed in Standard E tuning. Some of the parts in various songs have a real WHITE ZOMBIE type vibe to them which is fucking awesome in my books. Good to see Max back on drums again. Any band with Kristov and Murray = SOLID GOLD!!!

G.O.R. = Ace set from what I heard. I was out back warming up but the stage door was open so I could hear everthing they played. Excellent stuff.

Cephalopod: I hope people enjoyed our set. My double-kick pedals fucked out during our 4th song so I was trying to get through the set the best I could. Easily my most hairest performance I've ever done. Cheers to Jono from G.O.R. for allowing me to borrow his DW7000.

Once again - Cheers to Murray for an excellent night. I sincerely hope more people come out to more PN Heavy Metal shows regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
Yeh, It was a great night. thanks for your comments about Bloodspray for Politics. And yes there was about 85 paying people in the audience, so well over 100 good people with bands and associates included. Was stoked to be able to give the bands more than the usual $50 (or less) which we usually end up having to pay the bands. Hopefully this keeps happening
Here's a few pics Laura took on the night, though unfortunately no Gift of Ruin pics.
Deaths Door
Bloodspray for Politics
Cephalopod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Thaks for taking the pictures Laura! You're a champion!!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Cheers Andy! Its good to have a visual reminder of the show and who played.

I thought all the bands were wicked and the crowd response and turnout was awesome!

Stoked to see heaps of new faces and some old ones. It made for a good night out in the Swamp.