<  Reviews  ~  BBQ'D Babies/W.O.S./Cephalopod/B.P.@Factory(12.3.2011)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Very cool show!!!

Very stoked with turnout and congrats to Willy for a fine evenings worth of entertainment.

Bizarre Punishment: Pretty sweet 1st show! Scorpions cover was fairly crackup and Iron Maiden cover was pretty deece (and very ballsy to play at a 1st show). Hope these guys stick around in the scene as long as possible). It should be noted that they brought tonnes of new faces to the Factory which is fucking cool!

Cephalopod: Hoped people enjoyed our set. This was Mitch's last show. Richard Tacon from Augur will be our new bass player (if all goes well).

Wall Of Silents: 1st show in 9 months and it was so entertaining to see them live once again. Awesome and fun vibes throughout the whole set.

Barbecued Babies: Wicked set. They continue to get tighter and tighter every time they play. Have said this before but the addition of bass player has added to the overall heavyness of their sound.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 254 Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:44 am Location: EarthWebsite: http://nz.myspace.com/grief_giver
Wall of Silent�s and Barbecued babies, 12/03/2011 the Factory, Palmerston north

The Factory really is a cool venue small, but can still get a few people in.

Bizarre Punishment was playing their first show and they didn�t do too bad a job. They were all young guys and it�s such an awesome sight to see the new talent coming through They played a four song set which included two covers. Their first song was an original which was not to bad showing off their style of hard rock metal. Their covers showed what their influences were and they did these with flair. Their singer although appeared fairly confident didn�t really belt out the songs with much passion but my guess that was just first gig nerves. He has a fairly strong voice but just needs to make the songs his own and relax and I�m sure it will come to him. With two guitar players they were trading leads like no tomorrow. They were able to show this off in their second cover which was Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera which they pulled off to near perfection. They also covered Scorpions� Rock you like a Hurricane. It was there last song when they finally kicked into second gear. Their last track was an original and an instrumental which showcased their talent. It was pretty much a jam and by the end of it they had found their groove. Hope next time they have a few more originals so we can get a longer set. It�s always good to see the new talent stepping up.

Cephalopod has only done a few gigs but they are quickly getting a name around town. I was gutted I missed them at The Royal a few weeks before so was real excited to see them. Elise is an awesome front woman. She screams and growls like a Demon and looks the part. She really knows how to perform and the crowd got right into it. K k their guitar player is very cool chunking out some really cool riffs that I swear shook the building. They are very much Thrash orientated with a punk edge so their set was welcome but like Bizarre Punishment way too short. We got a few songs and were left wanting more. I can�t wait to see these guys again soon.

It has been over a year since Wall of Silents have played and it had been even longer since I had seen them myself and these guys didn�t take long to make up for lost time. Skeletor always has great presence and other than minor technical difficulties these guys played a blistering set. Playing tacks off all of their albums it was so good to see their brand of Horror metal. These guys are similar to Horror story in the fact that they sing about Zombies and the dead etc but they are very much a Metal band rather than punk. They do still have a little Punk and Doom flavour. I really enjoy seeing these guys and Jay their guitar player is one of my favourite local guitar players showing a real relaxed style showing himself as a true guitar player rather than just a paint by numbers guitar player. They show a real passion when they play and have a good time onstage and with the crowd. It�s always good to see interaction with the fans rather than just standing up there and singing songs and these guys have great banter with the punters. Songs like Last house on the left and Samurai went down a treat and ending on a great note with one of my favourites from their debut album Fuck off. Great to see them again hope it is not another year before we get the next show.

Barbecued Babies have been around for quite some time but the last time I saw them they didn�t have their current Singer or Bass player. Rob Brutal sounds like Satan spawned. Very much in the vein of David Vincent from Morbid Angel he growls and screams like a man possessed. Willy their guitar player lays down a solid Grind while Clancy and Luke take care of the rhythm. As far as heaviness goes these guys were the heaviest on the night delivering an awesome set of Death Metal. They have laid down a few tracks as a demo but they really need to put out an album because these guys need to be heard. The crowd fully reacted and gave this band their all with hair windmills everywhere and the pit going crazy. This band is definitely one to watch because they are on the way up.

Metal in the Manawatu is looking so good we have a great fan base and some awesome talent coming through. Bring on the next gig from all of these guys cause they will be well worth attending.

http://www.theaudience.co.nz/grief-giver/
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah just wanted to add, bizzare punishment did great for their first show, singer was just doing monotone stuff, but hey thats how they all start. main thing i thaught was so cool was that they are obviously into their old school thrash/hard rock/metal and it defently came out in their sound and for me thats so re-freashing to see in such a young new band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wall of Silent�s and Barbecued babies, 12/03/2011 the Factory, Palmerston north

The Factory really is a cool venue small, but can still get a few people in.

Bizarre Punishment was playing their first show and they didn�t do too bad a job. They were all young guys and it�s such an awesome sight to see the new talent coming through They played a four song set which included two covers. Their first song was an original which was not to bad showing off their style of hard rock metal. Their covers showed what their influences were and they did these with flair. Their singer although appeared fairly confident didn�t really belt out the songs with much passion but my guess that was just first gig nerves. He has a fairly strong voice but just needs to make the songs his own and relax and I�m sure it will come to him. With two guitar players they were trading leads like no tomorrow. They were able to show this off in their second cover which was Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera which they pulled off to near perfection. They also covered Scorpions� Rock you like a Hurricane. It was there last song when they finally kicked into second gear. Their last track was an original and an instrumental which showcased their talent. It was pretty much a jam and by the end of it they had found their groove. Hope next time they have a few more originals so we can get a longer set. It�s always good to see the new talent stepping up.

Cephalopod has only done a few gigs but they are quickly getting a name around town. I was gutted I missed them at The Royal a few weeks before so was real excited to see them. Elise is an awesome front woman. She screams and growls like a Demon and looks the part. She really knows how to perform and the crowd got right into it. K k their guitar player is very cool chunking out some really cool riffs that I swear shook the building. They are very much Thrash orientated with a punk edge so their set was welcome but like Bizarre Punishment way too short. We got a few songs and were left wanting more. I can�t wait to see these guys again soon.

It has been over a year since Wall of Silents have played and it had been even longer since I had seen them myself and these guys didn�t take long to make up for lost time. Skeletor always has great presence and other than minor technical difficulties these guys played a blistering set. Playing tacks off all of their albums it was so good to see their brand of Horror metal. These guys are similar to Horror story in the fact that they sing about Zombies and the dead etc but they are very much a Metal band rather than punk. They do still have a little Punk and Doom flavour. I really enjoy seeing these guys and Jay their guitar player is one of my favourite local guitar players showing a real relaxed style showing himself as a true guitar player rather than just a paint by numbers guitar player. They show a real passion when they play and have a good time onstage and with the crowd. It�s always good to see interaction with the fans rather than just standing up there and singing songs and these guys have great banter with the punters. Songs like Last house on the left and Samurai went down a treat and ending on a great note with one of my favourites from their debut album Fuck off. Great to see them again hope it is not another year before we get the next show.

Barbecued Babies have been around for quite some time but the last time I saw them they didn�t have their current Singer or Bass player. Rob Brutal sounds like Satan spawned. Very much in the vein of David Vincent from Morbid Angel he growls and screams like a man possessed. Willy their guitar player lays down a solid Grind while Clancy and Luke take care of the rhythm. As far as heaviness goes these guys were the heaviest on the night delivering an awesome set of Death Metal. They have laid down a few tracks as a demo but they really need to put out an album because these guys need to be heard. The crowd fully reacted and gave this band their all with hair windmills everywhere and the pit going crazy. This band is definitely one to watch because they are on the way up.

Metal in the Manawatu is looking so good we have a great fan base and some awesome talent coming through. Bring on the next gig from all of these guys cause they will be well worth attending.
Just curious: Who actually did this review??? I'm assuming it's not Rob since Rob plays in Barebecued Babies???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
Posts: 98 Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am Location: the SWAMP/the FOGWebsite: http://www.myspace.com/barbecuedbabies
terry macintosh wrote all those wicked words...id like to thank all the bands that played! you all rocked!,and cheers for putin out posters! it was a kickass show...all bands got payed some cash which is a total bonus...it was the first time bbqd babies got payed for a factory show...keen to see you all play again!!!cheers to all that took photos & videos...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
terry macintosh wrote all those wicked words...
Terry! Cool as!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Posts: 98 Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am Location: the SWAMP/the FOGWebsite: http://www.myspace.com/barbecuedbabies
Quote:
terry macintosh wrote all those wicked words...id like to thank all the bands that played! you all rocked!,and cheers for putin out posters! it was a kickass show...all bands got payed some cash which is a total bonus...it was the first time bbqd babies got payed for a factory show...keen to see you all play again!!!cheers to all that took photos & videos...
+ thank you to all the fans that came out & payed $10! you are legends!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Fuck I musta been pissed as I don't remember playing Samurai! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
Posts: 534 Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:27 am Location: P-City HXC
I wish there was a 'like' button for the above comment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
:lol: