<  News  ~  Slave Muzic.net.nz newsletter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
The Slave Collective got profiled in yesterday's muzic.net.nz newsletter.
Here's what appeared
Quote:
Slave Collective Special Edition

The Slave Collective is a Palmerston North based musician collective and record label. It was established in the year 2000 around a group of local musicians who decided to work together to promote their music. We do this with the www.slave.co.nz website and forum. We also put on and promote shows and have released over 30 local band albums and compilations.

The Slave Collective currently includes the bands Turbostill, Neckstretchers, Deaths Door, Project: Blood, Wall of Silents, Crackpot Theory, Bloodspray for Politics, The Filthy Varmits, Triple Metal Bypass, and more. It has also included many bands in the past including 7.62 Short, Hellborne, Cathedra, Cage Demise, Fallen Hero, Barbequed Babies, Scourge of Tussin, The Hendersons, Rogue State, Guilty of what?, and many more with a full list and links being available on the Slave website. The bands are mainly of the Heavy Metal, Rock, Industrial, and Punk genres, but Slave was mainly created for like-minded individuals to promote local music together.

www.slave.co.nz

www.facebook.com/SlaveCollective

www.myspace.com/SlaveCollective

Turbostill

What can we expect to see from Turbostill over the next year?

We’ve just done two release shows for our new 4 Track 7 Inch Vinyl. The shows were at The Royal in Palmerston North and at Whammy in Auckland. We’re going to keep playing shows and having good times.

How do you believe Turbostill fits into the NZ music industry?

In the drunken heavy Rock n’ Roll party band section.

What can you never leave home without?

Whiskey

How would you describe Turbostill's music?

Kickarse Rock n’ Roll.

What is your favourite NZ venue?

Down by the river in the Pohangina Valley, we’ve played a couple of Primitive Rock n’ Roll fests out there as well as one of the Mai Farm festivals.

What is the best part of being a musician?

Drinking piss and playing Rock n’ Roll.

What is in your CD collection at home?

The Devil's music.

What inspired you to start Turbostill?

A night of excessive drinking and partying, we woke up the next day to find we’d started a band. That was at the end of 2000. We played our first gig at Kristov’s 21st in Feb, 2001.

How did you come up with the name Turbostill?

It’s a turbo powered distillery, an essential musician tool.

Turbostill is Kristov Raven (vocals, guitar), Murray Shaw (vocals, bass) and Markham Wightman (vocals, drums).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
Amplifier Page
MySpace Page
Facebook Page
Reverbnation Page
Slave Collective Page

Roll Me Another Video

Liquid Rock n' Roll Review
Neckstretchers

When did Neckstretchers form?

We formed in 2006.

What can we expect to see from Neckstretchers over the next year?

We have recently done some recording and will be releasing a CD before too long.

How would you describe Neckstretchers' music?

Garage Rock n' Roll.

Playing music.

What NZ musicians or bands would you like to see more of, and why?

All of them, there's heaps of talented unknown bands around.

How do you believe Neckstretchers fit into the NZ music industry?

The non-profit Rock n' Roll section.

What inspired you to start Neckstretchers?

Wanting to play Rock n' Roll.

How did you come up with the name Neckstretchers?

It's got a bit lost in time but I think there was an old album called Neckstretchin' Blues which we thought had a good ring to it, but I looked it up recently and can't find any info on it so maybe we just made it up?

What is the best gig you have ever performed at, and why?

All the ones we’ve played, we always seem to have a good time when we play our music.

Neckstretchers are Aaron Sanko (drums), Murray Shaw (bass), Craig Starnes (guitar) and Rob Thorne (vocals).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
MySpace Page
Facebook Page
Reverbnation Page
Slave Collective Page

Deaths Door

When did Deaths Door form?

Deaths Door was formed in August 2010.

Who would Deaths Door most like to suport live?

Any of the heavy weight international metal bands, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse or The Black Dahlia Murder. Suporting National bands like 8 Foot Sativa and Sinate would also be a great experience.

How would you describe Deaths Door music?

Members of Deaths Door are all very passonate about many types of metal, which result in our original unforced sound.

METAL m/ ..... predominantly.

What inspired you to start Deaths Door?

To entertain people with good quality local metal!

How do Deaths Door keep in contatct with their fans?

Facebook and YouTube.

Deaths Door is Greyson Tuckey (vocals), Ants Hati (guitar), Daniel Morris (bass), Bevan Sharp (guitar) and
Ben Robinson (drums).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
MySpace Page
Facebook Page
YouTube Page
Slave Collective Page

Project: Blood

When did Project: Blood form?

Rob and James have been quietly working on the project since late 2005. We played our first show mid in 2009.

What can we expect to see from Project: Blood over the next year?

An EP release and a small selection of merchandise.

What advice would you like to give to other aspiring musicians?

Don't try to please the masses. Be your own.

What will Project: Blood's next release be?

A 5 song EP. Name and release date yet to be confirmed.

Who would Project: Blood most like to support live?

Skinny Puppy, Gary Numan, NIN, Foetus, Carcass, Macabre and Dag Nasty.

How do you believe Project: Blood fits into the NZ music industry?

We don't. And do not aspire to.

How would you describe Project: Blood's music?

Rock/Metal with strong industrial influence.

What is your favourite NZ venue?

Kings Arms, The Royal, The Stomach. Hard to pick just one.

Sticky Filth, HLAH, Winter Deluge and Anno Domini Mortus. Because they never cave in to the pressures of the trends.

Too many to mention, from too many genres to mention.

Project: Blood is James Skeletor (vocals, samples), Jay Cadaver (drums), Damo the Insidious (bass),
Rob Spleen (guitar, samples, synth) and Mikey Monk (synth).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
MySpace Page
Facebook Page
Slave Collective Page

Crackpot Theory

What will your next release be?

Well I have just released my new album entitled 'Puppies, Brownies & Sunsets'. It's available for download on my Facebook page and I will have copies soon to give away at gigs and to send to my more loyal followers.

How would you describe your music?

I'm constantly going through different phases, so my sound will reflect what I'm into at that very point of time. Obviously it's Metal, but I like to include a lot of electronic influences, rap/industrial/black metal, you name it. The latest album has some of my heaviest songs and also my lightest.

A very strange variety, including all the Janes Addiction albums, Vanilla Ice, all the 8 Foot Sativa releases, GWAR, the Smashing Pumpkins and even Cypress Hill haha. Of course I've got White Zombie, Megadeth, Van Halen, Def Lep pard and then there's Placebo, Incubus, Soundgarden, No Doubt. Good shit.

What inspired you to start Crackpot Theory?

Well I'm an entertainer and I'm also a songwriter by nature, I cant help but write songs, they just come to me for some stupid reason. So I decided to learn guitar (already being a drummer and bassist) and get a home studio and just start making music till I die. The style of music I started out writing needed a name so I decided to call it Crackpot Theory and it sorta just went on from there, 5 years later here I am.

What advice would you like to give to other aspiring musicians?

Don't worry about how you should be sounding and just do what sounds good to you, breakdowns are lame so don't do them, and remember that music is an artform and it needs to stay that way!

Who would you most like to support live?

I love doing shows with Project: Blood, I have done two with them and they have been a blast, I guess because their audience can kinda understand where I am coming from and it's not too much of a deviation, where when I play with straight forward metal bands I just don't fit in. I'd love to open for Rammstein or IWRESTLEDABEARONCE or GWAR, I opened for Sinate once and that was a dream come true.

Crackpot Theory is Daniel Ashcroft (vocals, keyboards, bass, guitar, drums).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
MySpace Page
Facebook Page
YouTube Page
Slave Collective Page

Desperation Album Review
Black Metal Much? CD Review

Bloodspray for Politics

What can we expect to see from Bloodspray for Politics over the next year?

We will be doing more gigs and releasing our 4 track EP 'Blood and Night'.

Our next gigs are on Friday 22nd June at the Cabana in Napier with Fuelset, Heterdox and Diamond Doll, then on Friday 29th June at The Royal in Palmerston North with Fuelset, Suppression and Gift of Ruin.

Who would Bloodspray for Politics most like to support live?

Slayer.

How do you believe Bloodspray for Politics fit into the NZ music industry?

We fit into the Heavy Metal part of it.

How do you describe Bloodspray for Politics' music?

E tuned Heavy Metal, We've been told we sound a bit like Pantera and White Zombie and we've also been described as sounding like Old School Metal combined with Death Metal, so something like that.

Playing gigs.

Palmy Bands, There’s heaps of kickarse local bands.

Metal and dodgey rock n’ roll.

How did you come up with the name Bloodspray for Politics?

It fits with our lyrics and style.

What is the best gig you have ever performed at, and why?

We’ve only played 5 gigs so far, but when we played with Beastwars and Wall of Silents that was a good show and our first gig which was a Slave Metal Fest with local bands Cephalopod, Gift of Ruin and Deaths Door was wicked too. Whenever people are into what you are playing it is cool.

What rumour would you like to start about Bloodspray for Politics?

That we are so Metal that we detune so far down we've gone right around and come back to standard E tuning.

Bloodspray for Politics are Kristov Raven (guitar), Mike Jacques (vocals), Max Guy (drums) and
Murray Shaw (bass).
Website Links

Muzic.net.nz Page
Facebook Page
Reverbnation Page
Slave Collective Page
The links don't work from here but you can find them on the slave band pages.
The actual version with band pics and working links can be found at the following link as soon as it is loaded up dated 03 Jun 2012 http://www.muzic.net.nz/articles/newsletters