<  My Band  ~  Applications to play NZ O-week due

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 60 Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:29 pm Location: Pest Control Vehickle
Hey guys just thought I'd throw this out there,

Applications to play Orientation are being called for at present.
Basically it costs $25 and you submit a press kit and you get listened to at the O-week conference by all the uni associations.

Press kit needs to include a cd (with important tracks highlighted), DVD of a performance, Poster, bio and photos.

If you're interested let Clare know (events@musa.org.nz) or me (Shanna) campus.arts.assistant@musa.org.nz and we will sort you out.

Needs to be in by end of October.

Please feel free to forward to anyone you think might be interested. (Peeps from outta should contact their nearest Uni Association person)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
why does it cost to apply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess someones gotta pay for the catering while they wade through the gobs of turge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
Posts: 327 Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:48 am Location: Peniston North
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 60 Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:29 pm Location: Pest Control Vehickle
(professional answer):.....I think it is to discourage amateurs wasting their time actually......obviously if a muso can get $25 together to spend on something other than booze or drugs they must be pretty serious about it.......

(what I really think): Yup its all food, booze, and girls...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 589 Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:55 pm Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
(professional answer):.....I think it is to discourage amateurs wasting their time actually......obviously if a muso can get $25 together to spend on something other than booze or drugs they must be pretty serious about it.......

(what I really think): Yup its all food, booze, and girls...
Sounds like bullshit to me. :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
screw that
on principle

im an amatuer...that cant spell
would shihad have to pay 25 bux before they got paid 10 grand
local bands shouldnt have to pay to ASK if they can play at the university

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
local bands should be getting asked by the university to play...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
They do.

But obviously for the out of town Universities they're gonna have no idea how good local bands are unless they have some kind of media presence, hence the selection process one would assume.

I agree that there should be more local bands represented at events like Orientation, but I also believe that bands should be of a standard that is on par with the bands they would be supporting.

Just because your mates like you doesn't mean 500 students will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
More local bands picking fights with rugbyheads!

PAGING NODDY ON THE CROSS and another band who's name I can't remember.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1037 Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:30 am Location: The Swamp.....unfortunatelyWebsite: http://www.myspace.com/rob_spleen
Quote:
They do.

But obviously for the out of town Universities they're gonna have no idea how good local bands are unless they have some kind of media presence, hence the selection process one would assume.

I agree that there should be more local bands represented at events like Orientation, but I also believe that bands should be of a standard that is on par with the bands they would be supporting.

Just because your mates like you doesn't mean 500 students will.
I don't think anyone is really pissed off so much at appliyng to play (well I wouldn't be...), but PAYING to even be considered...fuck I reckon Idol probably doesn't ask for that, and even if it did, your getting alot more exposure (all be it very lame pop star exposure). I mean after a press kit,$25 application fee,travel, booze, gear maintainance and drugs is the pay worth it? I have no idea....

I say yes to applying with proof you can play, no to feeding paperpushing trainiee bureaucrats wallets and/or stomachs, thats what student union fees are for :P

ps sorry to all the trainee bureaucrats no offense intended :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Agreed. $25 ain't shit between five people but it's still rude to ask bands (esp bands with locals who have been slogging it for the past decade) to pay to apply. Maybe the selection comittee have a shitload of bands to give a fair listen to but fuck, in this day and age if that's the hardest thing they've got to get up in the morning and face then it's tough to be sympathetic. Why not do a Chaff poll or Radio Massey phone-in/e-mail after playing a bunch of songs from prospective bands after having them on a regular rotation for a couple of months to see what flies as a promotion for Orientation and then give the punters/target demographic a say?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote
Posts: 760 Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:59 am Location: Washington DCWebsite: http://www.myspace.com/gappman
Like Snuff said, its getting your music across to the other universities, which is really why there is an application process. The university local to the local band will already be aware of the quality of its local acts, and have in mind which ones they want to play (note: usually there is personal preference here, so much so I have even seen a past campus arts administrator on the O week stage at massey, playing covers in support of what was to be the 'feature gig' of the week..... makes me fuckin laugh my tits completely off.... get friendly with the campus arts guy/girl who ever it is). Anyways, if you wanna play at another uni during O week, then you apply. The $25 fee has been there forever. Local bands usually got paid more ($300-500 was common, plus rider) for a 20 minute O week set at Massey than any gig they played locally elsewhere... well that is how I remember it, not that I was ever in a band that played, but I know a few personally that have done it. Yes though, it does suck that you have to pay to apply, and possibly not even get the chance to play (personally I was out of pocket in this process once). I just wonder why people have only just started complaining about it now, when it has been in place for as long as I remember, either that, or the fee was taken away in more recent years, and has now been implemented once more??? I dunno. As far as press release etc, that shouldnt actally be a cost, if you are serious about your band and want to play larger gigs, you will have some stuff already in place for this sort of purpose.... and really the cost of making something like that with modern means of technology is pretty cheap. If you are a band the O week people will be interested in, you will already have recorded stuff, you will already have a press kit, you will already have some sort of reputation in NZ, you will have been heard of... blah... if you don't fit this description, don't apply, either that or get the campuss arts dude/gal drunk and or laid ;).......

I know O week aint what it used to be, which is a shame. It really once was a TRUE showcase of New Zealand music. I was invloved with the production for many, and I saw a downward decline in the 'festival' (for lack of a better word coming to me right now). And once upon a time, it was a showcase for original local artists, and it really did used to help the scene... I am probably too young to have witnessed this, but rumour and legend has it........ Good luck to the locals that cough up the $25 ... bummer about the $25, but yeah..... not much you can do apart from bitch I guess ;)(note: I do recall Motorsheep not coming up with the $25, and still getting a local show... dunno if this will wash with current event organisers, could be worth a shot..... how about a rubbery cheque ;)).........

I proudly wore white sneakers, black jeans, and my G'n'R tour tee shirt to my first day of university in 1993 ;)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Posts: 1037 Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:30 am Location: The Swamp.....unfortunatelyWebsite: http://www.myspace.com/rob_spleen
First off I'd like actually to say thanks to Dodgy for the heads up on the opportunity. My rant is nothing personal. :oops:

I have never even thought of trying to get an o-wek gig, so I wouldn't know if there was a fee in the last few previous years?I guess there hasn't been bitching before because its never been raised in the forum? I don't know.

The fact is, that it doesn't matter if you alrerady are kitted out with the appropriate press gears/media it still costs, that in itself isn't a problem-its a fact of life,but added with a fee of 25 dollars to apply for a chance to play is bullshit.
If it is for for covering admin such as return phonecalls/rejection-acceptance letters it still shouldn't be $25 dollars.$3 to 5 dollars perhaps. If it is going in to pay for a bunch of people to listen to stuff or going to other uses inside the student union thingy,thats I guess what my problem is.

RANT:
This is another example of the kind of bureaucracy that is rife in our society, I for one am sick to death of it. Student Unions etc need funds, but don't expect me to pay as I ain't one of the students.
When working I pay a union to look after my interests, but I don't expect a fucking student to pay my union for me. If it was funds going directly to keep Control on the air, I may feel different, but that ain't got squat to do with this. This, for most applicants is throwing away $25 dollars cash and at least $5 of press kit not to mention postage and time. Could students afford this...no? Well neither can alot of musos.
END RANT

sorry but I had to get that out....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
I guess $25 could also go towards the cost of the travel expenses involved with getting representatives from every Uni in the same room...?

Bitching about a measily fee is exactly the reason why no swamp bands get on the national o-week circuit.

If we were anywhere else in the world we would be having to pay to play fuckin gigs....