<  Reviews  ~  Turbostill,Hot Grease,Proton Beast,Somebody's sons-Whammy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
On sat 12th May Turbostill hit the road again and headed up to Auckland for a show at Whammy bar in St Kevin's arcade on K' road, we always seem to manage to take someone with us and this time Jo came along to film and photograph the show, and Justin came as well to help us party.
Seven hours later we made it to Whammy and setup in preparation for the show. After a quick soundcheck we headed round to Dane's who fortunately lives about 100 metres from the bar and has been kind enough to provide us with accomodation on all three of our Auckland shows over the last couple of years.
There wasn't any carparks outside Dane's(central Auckland and all) so I parked down the road in a foodcourt carpark. About an hour later Markham and I were hanging around outside and a couple of Tow trucks zoomed by at about 100km an hour. Markham suggested I'd better check on the van and on walking down to the carpark I found my van lifted up and about to be towed off. I was told either give the towey $60 on the spot or pay $250 back at the yard. I only had $45 on me and told the dude that. He said 'I'm doing you a favour(???) it'll be $250 back at the yard then" I said 'can I go get $20 out' and he said 'I'll wait for 5 minutes then leave with the van'. So a quick run back up the road and $60 later my van was parked on the side of the road where I was told it was free carparking over night. Then back to the flat and a an hour or so's drinking and it was time to go start the door at the gig.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
Down the road to Whammy and after a few more drinks and a bit of time sitting on the door it was time to get the gig started. First up was Proton Beast who are a two piece. The guitarist has 3 amps(an orange,A mesa boogie and I can't remember the other) which made for a sizeable stack and band volume. They set up on the floor in front of the stage.(Haven't seen a band do that since "Nothing at all" way back at the Wildhorse) and set about playing some incredibly loud rock n' roll. After them was one of Andrew Tolley's band Hot Grease who have a similar sort of sound to Bloody souls and The Hasselhoff experiment. Except they are a 3-piece with two guitars one left handed Gibson V and one right handed Gibson V which looked cool and sounded good. After them was Somebody's sons another Auckland band who threw in a Dead moon cover of '54/40 or fight' and played full on rock n' roll similar in vein to that song. Last up was Turbostill. We started with Liquid Rock n' roll,Motorway and Alcohol before playing 4 tracks off the vinyl (Motherfucker like you,Roll Me Another,Liquid Death,Blood on my hands) and then we finished off with our singalong drinking song "Drink Piss(and play rock n' roll)". It was an excellent night of much drinking and kickarse rock n' roll.
After that the drinks kept flowing and after some wandering around in search of adventure we finally all made it back to the flat around 4am.
There was a black station wagon parked outside the flat with one guy passed out and throwing up in the car and another dude hanging around.
He came inside with us and hung around while we all had one last beer, then I buggered off to the van to crash out about 4.30am and everyone else crashed out shortly after. I returned to the flat about 10am (after an excellent street side sleep in the van) and found out that the dude from the car had waited to everyone had gone to sleep and nicked a camera and phone. Which wasn't how we had hoped to finish our visit in Auckland.
Shortly after that we loaded up the van and spent another 7 hours driving back to the swamp. One wicked gig a theft and almost van tow later. :) :( :o

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 534 Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:27 am Location: P-City HXC
Sounds like an epic, yet bummer of a trip man.

Proton Beast rule

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
yeh that about covers it. The gig had a wicked line up. All the bands were full on rock n' roll.