<  Reviews  ~  Turbostill,Bloody Souls,Stray Hearts,Whammy,AK, 9th April

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 1937 Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 pm Location: SwampWebsite: http://www.slave.co.nz
After a 7 hour drive we finally made it to Auckland. After a few laps of the block trying to find the alleyway leading to the back entrance to Whammy Bar we finally loaded in about half past 7.
The Gig kicked off a bit after quarter past eleven with The Stray Hearts, an
all female punk/rock band playing their first gig who played about 6 covers. Not really my thing, but it went down well with all their many friends who had come along. Songs in the vain of The Runaways "Cherry bomb" etc.
Turbostill played 2nd and we played some loud/fast rock n' roll(with a couple of slower songs for a breather), though we cut our set short by a couple songs when Kristov broke a string on his just restrung guitar (He won't be making the mistake of changing his strings for a gig again and stick with good 'ol unbreakable rusty strings like the rest of us)
Bloody Souls followed Turbostill with a cool set of punky rock n' roll songs.
A tight three piece not too far removed from Turbostill in style.
Good times and Rock n' roll, and it's always a bonus when all the bands get paid. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Turbostill for letting me hitch a ride up to Aucks. You guys rule!

First time going to Whammy bar. When we got there, i lounged around on the couches and took a look about the place to get my bearings. Kind of reminded me of ElSanto in ChCh, but a bit more seedy. :)
For the StrayHearts it was a room packed full of people that just stood there watching.
Turbostill were in fine form, playing like the tight unit they always do, and i did see a few people dancing and enjoying themselves.

From what i caught of the Bloody Souls they sounded quite good. I had seen them in Palmy years ago and listened to their EP. I recognised only one song though - the last one!

Also, shout out to Steve Hood for coming along and keeping me company.
Cheers Turbostill for a fine weekend away.