<  Reviews  ~  CERVIX at ZEAL (Auckland) June 4th 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Didn't get much sleep on the day of the show as I was so excited to be on a road-trip to Auckland and playing a show.

Drive to Auckland was awesome! Not a cloud in sight and some hilarious shit talking in the car. Burgerfuel stop in Taupo = :D

We get to ZEAL which is pretty much like the STOMACH but on a WAY bigger scale. The room we played in was pretty much the size of a small class-room - perfect for a intimate show which is what we like.

The 1st 2 bands on were "The Voyage" and "Backswing" who play metallic-hardcore pretty much like a lot of bands these days. Both bands good at what they do but musically aren't my thing.

Hivemind: Mitch's description is heavy "power-violence." Definitely my favourite band of the night. Kinda like CRIMES but sounds like Tomas Lindberg (At THE GATES) on vocals.

Cervix: We were definitely the "musical odd-ball" band of the night and you could tell people probably weren't gonna be that interested in watching us. The whole audience-demographic changed from trendy-hardcore-kids to crusty-punks between Hivemind and Cervix's set. Was stoked there were quite a few people that were there to watch Cervix especially and not the other bands.

Cervix performance: This is one of those times when everything was just not going our way and I personally played like arse.

Couldn't quite position drum kit into a comfortable position but I did the best i could. Didn't matter though because some dude fell onto the drum-kit I was playing halfway through our 1st song:
It was actually somewhat of a blessing in disguise as it brought me some more time to re-position the kit.
Forearms locked up as usual from not warming up so I was dying throughout the whole set. Got a few nice comments about the fast-pace of the drumming though which was a surpise (I thought I was slower than usual tonight).

Cast Them To Ruin: technically a good band but once again the music was not my thing.

Felt pretty bummed-out after my performance and was ready to just relax and down a few bourbon-and-cokes to get my mind off our performance.

Ended up crashing at a mate's place who lives around the corner from the Grove which is where the rest of the band were staying.

Jumped in Mitch's car around 9.30am to head back to Palmy North.
More hilarious shit talking in the car, awesome punk-rock tunes on the stereo, and we stopped at Burgerfuel again in Taupo.

Gig = 7/10
Cervix performance = 5/10
My performance = 4/10
Roadtrip = 9/10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Posts: 534 Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:27 am Location: P-City HXC
I love road trips aye, nothing beats talking shit in the van/car.

Aucklands a long trip from Palmy. Lucky wasnt this weekend the D Road is closed.